Ulan has experience in the field of corporate law and M&A, including registration of LLPs, branches and representative offices, conducting legal due diligence. Ulan represented clients in governmental authorities and consulted both international and local clients on various legal issues.
Ulan is a native speaker of Kazakh and Russian and is fluent in English.
Ulan’s selected major projects include:
legal support of a major international surface data logging services company in its acquisition of the same business of
Weatherford International plc. in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Full legal support of a major European food delivery service as part of its expansion to the Kazakhstan market.
- Full-fledged legal and tax due diligence of a
Kazakhstan national company, a party to the metallurgical silicon production investment
project, as part of its acquisition by a major international company.
- Advising one of the leading European banks on Kazakh
law matters as part of its provision of USD 120 million committed secured syndicated
borrowing base facility to a conglomerate commodities
- Legal and tax due diligence in connection with the contemplated transaction on acquisition of an international E&P company. SIGNUM acted as a leading counsel of the project.
- Full M&A legal support of a global mechanical engineering services company in the acquisition of participating interest in a Kazakhstan construction company (including transaction documents drafting, obtaining all required regulatory approvals, general M&A legal consulting, including assistance with closing).
- Full M&A legal support of the Russian company in acquisition of Kazakhstan subsidiaries of a Russian holding company rendering complex telecommunication and IT services related to storage and processing of information (including conducting red flag legal due diligence, assistance with review of the transaction documents and closing).
- Full M&A legal support of the Russian company in acquisition of Kazakhstan subsidiaries of a Russian holding company, a major taxi ordering service provider (including conducting red flag legal due diligence and M&A assistance).
- Full legal support of a Swiss-based leading global provider of secured identification services on public private partnership project with Kazakhstan government.
- Advising on and assisting a Swiss-based leading global provider of secured identification services with corporate and management restructuring in its Kazakhstan subsidiaries, legal support of the buy-out of the company’s local partners’ shares, which included transaction documents drafting and assistance with closing.
- Preparation of legal opinion for a major global oil trading company covering the legal analysis of statutory requirements (licenses and permits, insurance, registration and others) applicable to the contemplated lease of a major industrial asset.
- Corporate investigation related to alleged embezzlement in a large international company specializing in production and sale of consumer goods.
- Legal due diligence of a Kazakhstan Branch office of the world’s largest oil pipeline company, a natural monopoly transporting oil and petroleum products via trunk pipelines.
- Full M&A legal support of a major international oil trading company in acquisition of two Kazakhstan legal entities registered in special economic zones (conducting legal due diligence of companies, obtaining regulatory consents, transaction documents drafting and assistance with closing).
- Conducting legal due diligence of Kazakhstan subsidiaries of a major Russian fashion online retail company for a Russian investor.
- Conducting legal due diligence of a Kazakhstan company operating in the field of renewable energy, owning solar power plants for a Chinese investor.
- Full legal M&A support of the Norwegian company in an indirect acquisition of a Kazakhstan based subsoil user through a reversed takeover on the London Stock Exchange (including conducting legal and tax due diligence of the subsoil use company, drafting transaction documents related to Kazakhstan law, general M&A legal consulting, etc.).
- Preparation of legal memorandum for a major global oil trading company covering the legal analysis of domestic supply and antitrust regulations for liquefied petrol gas (LPG) production.
- Advising the Greece’s leading
industrial company on the legal due diligence report on Kazakh law matters
arising out of EPC, O&M and procurement contracts. This legal exercise was
connected with the proposed issuance of a Greek law bond on the Athens Stock
Exchange, financed by EBRD to support the company’s transition to the green
- Advising a major European food delivery service on
Kazakhstan on regulatory requirements, business model and advised on a broad
range of commercial contracts with courier partners and restaurants. Full legal
support of a major European food delivery service as part of its expansion to
the Kazakhstan market.
- Advising a major
international surface data logging services company on obtainment of the
subsoil use operations-related license and the license for in the field of
trafficking precursors in Kazakhstan.
- Legal and tax
advice to the Project Home (Angles AG) on its acquisition of 7 subsoil use
(mining) assets in Kazakhstan, reviewing transaction documents for the purposes
of compliance with Kazakh law requirements.”
- Advise to a Swiss-based leading global provider of secured identification services in its joint activity arrangements with one of the largest communication operators in Kazakhstan for the purposes of participating in a tender on single market operator.
- Full legal support of a French luxury bakery and sweets maker house as part of its expansion to the Kazakhstan market.
- Advice to a major global IT company in relation to "deemed export" of data and Cyber security laws.
- Advising a major lifting equipment
manufacturer on construction and installation requirements as part of its participation
in the Abu Dhabi Plaza project.
- Advising the largest medical device company
on Kazakh certification requirements.