Mobile: +7 701 722 32 81
Sofiya graduated with honors from the Kazakh State National University named after Al-Farabi and obtained Bachelor of Laws, with further Master degree from the same University. She participated in various trainings and workshops on legal and business skills and in oil and gas and mining trainings, has consulting experience in both local and international law firms, and in in-house/industry experience in an international oil and gas company.
Sofiya is currently an EMBA Candidate’2018 at INSEAD. She is an arbitrator of the Kazakhstan International Arbitration and International Commercial Arbitration Court of the Eurasian Mediation Center. She is an active arbitrator of ICC (Paris) and member of Managing Council of KazBar and Kazakhstan Petroleum Lawyers Association (KPLA). Sofiya is a native speaker of Kazakh and Russian and fluent in English.
Sofiya has advised numerous international oil and gas and mining companies for over 20 years on various subsoil use issues, including on strategic acquisitions, whether by assignment, takeover or otherwise.
Sofiya has a versatile client base, including a number of publicly listed companies. She participated in drafting various regulations related to the subsurface use, M&A and tax matters.
Sofiya particularly focuses on the subsoil use taxation, including transfer pricing and international taxation. Clients highly value her for being not only technically strong but also for her commercial experience, and business adviser approach, as well as dealing with government officials. Corporate structuring issues, including optimization of business, are also among her key and basic practices.
She has a number of publications on topical oil and gas issues and is a frequent speaker in oil and gas and related conferences. Sofiya participated in several government-run law-making working groups for drafting laws of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Sofiya’s recent selected major projects include:
- Full legal support of a Norwegian E&P company on acquisition of oil & gas project in Western Kazakhstan: transaction planning, drafting all related agreements and deeds, etc.;
- Full legal support of acquisition of an oil and gas contract (including transaction documentation drafting and obtaining all regulatory approvals). Deal size: USD 32 million;
- Legal advice on incorporation of a joint venture between a Canadian company and a local company for projects in geological and aerogeophysical survey;
- Transfer pricing audit and appeal for a European oil and gas company;
- Legal and court representation of a PSA operator in a USD2 mln tax dispute against the Tax Committee;
- Legal advice on regulatory compliance (state’s preemptive right, antimonopoly consent, etc.) required for IPO of an international E&P company at KASE;
- Legal and court representation of a large drilling company on a class action by former employees with regard to the compensations payment;
- Successfully representing two international E&P companies in courts against tax authorities on PSA stability matters;
- Legal advice for a foreign insurance company on reinsurance issues (limited recourse clause);
- Legal and court representation of a PSA operator on recognition of customs exemptions under the PSA against the Ministry of Finance of Kazakhstan;
- Tax compliance health check prior to statutory tax audit;
- Transfer pricing due diligence for large European oil and gas company;
- Consulting of a major German airline company on VAT exemption issues;
- Legal advice to a major German airline company on various corporate and tax questions, and issues concerning application of Double Taxation Treaty between Germany and Kazakhstan.